Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X7 xDrive40i

Garage List
2024 X7  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
2019 X7 50i (Not M)

48,000 miles

Was with the family going to a cubs game 2 weeks ago, and after getting off the highway on side streets, car started acting weird. First, tight turn into a parking spot and it felt like I hit something with noticeable shuddering feeling.

A few turns from intersections under acceleration and both be and the wife could feel it.

After the game, driving home didn't notice anything until pulling on the driveway at our house and after about an hour of highway driving it was doing it again.
Got it into the dealer two days later, and they were able to identify that it was the transfer case. They drained and filled the fluid, and said BMW requires this be done and driven for 250 miles before they will replace it.

Two weeks and so far hasn't done it again.

My fear is we are almost out of warranty and considering the transfer case is a mechanical component/ assembly could changing fluid really fix the problem? Or is it just disguising it? Temporarily hiding it?

Could it be a permanent repair considering BMW says this is lifetime fluid?
I would make sure you keep all documentation on the problem for future (possibly legal reference). If it happens again, I would make an audio recording. I am clearly no mechanical transfer case expert, but I can't imagine "felt like I hit something with noticeable shuddering feeling." being truly resolved by a fluid change. That said perhaps someone on the forum with more related expertise may be able to better characterize the problem. Another possibility would be asking the dealer and/or BMW to logically explain the phenomenon.
Appreciate 0