View Single Post
      07-01-2023, 01:13 AM   #1
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Need some M550i vs M850i answers. Thank you.

Hey gang, was looking for an M550i, but cannot be ordered anymore, and can't find one with basically all options (except C/F, which I do not like). And ivory interior only. So salesman said what about the 850? And that's why I'm here. I'm basically looking for a 'Jekyl & Hide' car: very luxurious, quiet, and comfortable in comfort mode (when traveling), and as sporty as possible with everything in sport+ (canyon carving, or when driving alone). Although I haven't driven one yet, the M550i seemed to fit that bill the best, obviously equipped with DHP. Reviews said it still had some body roll (especially in transitions), but it still has solid handling, so I can live with that. An M5 would be too stiff and uncomfortable for my wife, and don't want to spend an additional 30 grand. So have to compromise on the handling a little, which is fine since I won't track the car. Both cars are quite comparable in amenities, but unfortunately the 850 is not offered with massaging seats, which I don't understand why. On the plus side, it offers full Merino leather, vs just Nappa on the 550.

Anyway, can somebody here with experience driving both cars tell me how the 850 handles compared to the 550? And which one is quieter inside the cabin? Will research about length and weight differences, and listen to some reviews as well. Thank you.
Appreciate 0