View Single Post
      11-10-2023, 06:26 PM   #21
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
This is what I read as well, so I called them to find out. At first they (CarboTech) denied any association whatsoever, so I had a tech call me back.
He admitted that they were related, but maintained that per the agreement the exact materials had to be different by a certain percentage.

1. I don't think we can know more than that.
2. I don't think it matters.

I have had CarboTech pads on my M2, and currently have G-Loc pads on my Exige and all I can say for sure is that the G-Loc GS1 pads dust a bit less, and the dust is a bit different in color. The 1521's increase in dust could be just because the M2 is heavier, creating more dust, which is plausible.

I preferred the Akebono pads to BOTH of them, for the street.

In terms of aggression it looks like this...

1. CarboTech 1521 (most aggressive)
2. G-Loc GS1 (less aggressive, but still similar)
3. Akebono (much less dust, much less aggressive, best street pad IMO)

Unfortunately, the Akebono pad will NEVER be made for the 2NH because their machine is incapable of handling a pad of that size (I literally called and asked).
Funny because I also emailed Akebono and got the same response a couple years ago. You would think they would update their tooling since brakes aren't trending any smaller. Oh well.

I was told by some guys on Rennlist and Nasioc that they were exactly the same but who knows. Honestly the way the backing plates etc. are finished make me think they are a lazy company and probably the same. Could also be your Exige pads are just from an older run and they tweaked the material. I was sent the wrong rear pads at first and the box was really old looking compared to the fronts. Who knows how old their stock of certain shapes are. They have been selling the same line of pads for almost 20 years now.
Appreciate 0