12-03-2023, 11:49 AM   #61
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by R N M View Post
Most suburban moms that drive Gwagons and GMC Yukons will be scooping these things up. Some fellas that have Wranglers for show will also buy these.

I really think its amazing design and ppl are not giving Tesla team enough credit for pushing whats possible. They could have easily done a dumb pickup design like a stretched out Model X instead they did something revolutionary - this is what separates Tesla from rest of carmakers.

I wish BMW can go back to their design roots and make something special / futuristic instead putting some pig nose grill on their cars.

Whether you like Musk or not - the dude is a visionary that is not controlled by bean counters like most auto CEOs. He is not afraid to fail and takes huge chances which is the only way to make something different.
I originally thought the exterior design was goofy but seeing it in motion gives it a different appeal (to me at least). I do like the intensive cab forward design of it. Thank God Tesla didn't make it look like a Model 3 or Model Y. The interior leaves a lot more to desire, it is just too sparse for my taste. If Tesla is making gobs of profit now, it now should design more conventional switchgear for tactic control of the HVAC, radio, wipers, and cruise control. And for God's sake just put a screen in front of the driver. The Mach E has a nice setup IMO.

Most of the automotive technology is great, though I'd need a full understanding of the fail safe for the column-less steering system. And what are the design elements to keep the tonneau cover from jamming in real world use? The Cyber Truck site shows a track hoe loading the bed with dirt, I can see that easily jamming the cover. Worse is gravel. The mega mono-wiper might be prone to failure. I jokingly have asked what the HP of the wiper motor is, but it's a serious question. Is it a lever system, or direct-drive.

I have no issue with Musk's politics, just like I have no issue with Mary Barra or Jim Farley politics either. Everyone on the left side of isle liked him for pushing planet-saving EV until the government of California ass-kicked him at COVID time. He got a real taste of how Government thinks it has control over the populace and it didn't sit well with him. He's an immigrant who actually believes in free speech and personal rights. Shame on him. LOL. Why that is offensive to Americans is perplexing to me.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 12-03-2023 at 11:56 AM..
Appreciate 1