Rep
Drives: M3, X7, iX

Garage List
24 BMW iXM60  [10.00]
24 BMW M3  [9.77]
24 BMW X7  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofbay View Post
What I'm hoping to learn? Exactly the kind of thought process that you just shared over the topic. Really enjoyed reading your perspectives. Thanks for sharing.

It occurs to me that the concept of diminishing returns does apply here.
Assuming any cheaper product functionally is 80% of a more premium product, you almost always pay a lot to squeeze that last 20% of benefit out of something. I don't care if it's computer hardware, bicycle parts or cars. It always seems to work that way. I realize I could Trade my 2021 X7 in and get enough for a brand new TX 500h or MDX Type S
But what exactly will I give up for that and what will I gain. It's an interesting thought. I really do just love the 2021 X7 at the moment. Maybe with some luck someday it will be out of the shop and in my garage.
1) you’re still dinging the X7 for reliability while not saying what happened to yours…. Not that you have to, but if I bought a car and experienced such frustrating problems, I would be looking at another brand as well.

2) Mercedes and BMW and Audi and to some extent Lexus are at the edge of the premium luxury segment where you usually get what you pay for. Above that and you’re paying for a bit more performance and/or luxury with a significant amount for brand perception or status symbols. These German brands generate about 10% operating profit - and of course it’s probably a bit higher on an X7 or GLS than a 2 series. But safety, quality, comfort, and luxury features are a class above a Toyota or Mazda.

3) you need to compare apples-to-apples for size and features. The GLS, suburban high country, and Escalade etc are closer comparables to the X7 than an MDX. At least be honest about size and cargo space and engine power and towing capabilities.

At the end of the day, if you come into a BMW forum and ask “hey, why didn’t you get a Toyota” brace yourself for a worldview that doesn’t accept that logic.
Appreciate 1
jofbay15.00