View Single Post
      11-18-2008, 08:43 AM   #15
Lester
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Maybe it is just me, but this is not a huge SUV or minivan. Why the need for some gizmo to tell ya how to park? The 1er is a small car, my little brain has to worry about drivers that need electronics to help them park such a small car. However, I have been wrong in the past, so I am sure others will educate me.
All it has to do is alert you once - to save backing into a parkade column, a low wall or a kid's bicycle, and it will have paid for itself. How much is a bumper or rear quarter panel repair going to cost?

The 135 does have limited rear visibility, especially at night or in poorly lit parkades. PDC will alert you if you are backing up too close to a wall (beside you), it will pick up a briefcase sitting behind the car. However, it is not designed to protect you from bad parking habits, you still have to be aware, and look around before backing up. It can't protect you from everything, but it is a nice friend, and beeps as you approach an object. When you get to within a foot, you hear a steady tone.

I have also installed a rear wireless camera, mounted on the license plate bracket, powered by the license plate lights. The screen sits in my ashtray module. I leave it on when driving, just to validate all the bogey's around me. It also helps to see what is behind when parking.
Appreciate 0