02-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #48
ANILE8
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupé - Carbon Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins

Yeah, I know enough technical stuff about photography to be dangerous! I'm trying to keep my eye out for a used good condition 70-200 or 80-200 to be the next lens. I probably should have setup the budget to get the following:
12-24
24-70
70-200
You can save money by purchasing used.

Just be patient and keep your eye out.

The 70-200mm/F2.8 is AF-S where the current 80-200mm/F2.8 is not. The Autofocus is much faster.

Nikon Super Telephoto Primes are twice the difference in auto focus speed again from the 70-200mm/F2.8, you don't want to go there unless you are committed to getting the best results at any cost. They are instant, zero lag time from close-up to infinity, it's frightening.

What many on here do not consider is not just the low light ability of a fast lens to give you a faster shutter speed but the focusing speed and tracking ability of a lens to keep an erratically moving subject in focus in low light conditions.

This makes just as much difference to your results as anything else.

There is a world of difference between the two afore mentioned lenses in AF speed.

Quote:
Toss in a teleconverter and I'd have a pretty good setup. That just wasn't in the budget. So the 18-200 will serve as a general purpose lens, and I'll rely on rentals for the best glass in the mean time.
I agree the kit you mentioned will be an awesome start for you.

Quote:
And that Bogen? I've had it for at least 15 years. Built like a tank, which is why it still works well today. I think I'll go check out monopods too. Man, I need to win the lottery.....
I have always bought the best quality stuff available at the time of purchase and found it to be cheaper way of doing things in the long run.

Rather then getting on the constant up-grade treadmill from buying cheap equipment. If you are not happy with your purchase you have just wasted 100% of your money instead of buying what you could have got in the first place.

It has taken me many years to build-up my equipment kit, it didn't happen overnight but if you are determined you can do it too.
Nitron NTR R3 | StopTech Trophy Sport STR-60 380x32mm / StopTech Trophy Sport STR-40 355x32mm | Bridgestone RE-71RS | ADV.1 | CDV Delete | TMS Rear Camber Arms | RE Diablo's | 4.10 Gears | Euro Headers | RTD REVO1 Short Shifter
Appreciate 0