View Single Post
      10-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #11
taliesen
Self Imposed Exile
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastek View Post
its a good thing that it's "in your opinion" ... cause thats the same as J.R.R. Tolkien's Family vs. New Line Cinema & Friends ..... as well as Jimi Hendrix Family vs. whatever label was trying not to pay them.

The Lotus name should be, at the least.. sanctioned by the Chapman family and if the courts see it "in my opinion" .... you and your corporate Proton buddies wont have a leg to stand on ...
Chill out, man - you asked a question, I gave you an answer. Sorry I took my own time to do a google search you could have done yourself to get an answer to a question you were too lazy to find on your own.

And frankly, I don't see this as anywhere near the same thing as the Tolkien or Hendrix family issues - in those cases, people were making money from using things those gentlemen actually CREATED. This new team is not trying to run the Lotus 49 or one of the JPS cars - so Chapman had NOTHING to do with the work being done to field a car in 2010. If you're upset at the use of the name, then you should also be upset that McLaren is using that name - after all, Bruce has passed on and isn't involved today.

Bottom line is, the rights to use the Lotus name belong to different people today than it did before - and they're using it. If you don't like it, root against them, but it won't change the legal aspect.

And for the record - I don't agree with them using Lotus myself, as they are attempting to cash in on the legacy. But that doesn't mean it's not LEGAL for them to do so . . . .