View Single Post
      08-23-2010, 08:40 PM   #78
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army335xi View Post
Ok... That's good... BUT I think those big canisters aren't resonators, I think those are actually cats themselves, probably 600 cell each (the '08 335xi I had prior to getting the E70) had two canisters (same size and dimension) and they were 600 cell Cats.

I bet if you cut those bastards open, they are cats and not resonators.

Your looking at a total of about 2200 cells between the main cat (1 and 2nd Structure) and the cats on the exhaust.

The N54 was running with 2400 cells total (pre and post cats). BMW is not going to reduce the cat cell count by an extreme amount

They are definetely not cats. Here is another quote from the N55 manual. They are resonators. Remember the N55 engine is also alot more efficient and less emissions due to the Valvetronic that the N54 did not have.

If they were cats the post cat o2 sensor would be after the downpipe. As you can see its in the middle of the downpipe between the 2 cats.

"Exhaust System
With the single twin scroll turbocharger , the design of the exhaust system is less compli-cated than that of the N54 engine, with two turbochargers. In addition to a “near-engine” catalytic converter design, the exhaust system also features a center silencer and two rear silencers.

Note: Due to the high efficiency of the “near engine” three way catalytic
converter , no additional catalytic converters are necessary."
Appreciate 0