11-17-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
love2drive
keeps cars too long.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mflowt5 View Post
The fmic should be the first modification regardless of meth or no meth. But in regards to your question, it will add additional cooling to the air before the meth is injected, thus an overall lower IT will be achieved.
I think the answer depends on how the car will be driven.

I've been leaning towards installing a new FMIC since they're so cheap (big tom version) and am looking data to justify the effort- looks like a fun project but an all-day one. The OPs question has been asked many times, with similar responses but not much data. There are also a number of vendors who sell FMICs who repeat the same. I have not yet seen good data on how much benefit FMICs are with meth unless the car is being tracked or racing quarter miles back to back, where stock FMIC quickly heat soaks.

IATs- They're very low with a high flow nozzle and meth. Not clear what the expected gain in HP would be from adding an improved FMIC and dropping IAT a few more degrees in daily driving. I'm guessing not much.

Pressure drop across FMIC- haven't seen data on the benefit of slightly lowering this in terms of engine/turbo response or turbo wear, but there is likely some benefit. Most of the enthusiastic responses are from people who installed FMIC before meth and saw a huge benefit.

IMHO, if you already have meth, I suspect you won't see much change from FMIC in daily driving. At the track, FMIC upgrade is critical. I'm sure others will chime in.
Appreciate 0