View Single Post
      02-26-2010, 01:17 AM   #60
E90 87ss
Captain
Rep
Drives: !

Just a thought, coming from a ground fighter, I picked up western boxing and it's amazing. More difficult than anything i've done in BJJ, Judo, Scholastic wrestling, and Sambo. You need a really good BJJ instructor who makes you drill and focuses on technique, i've had some bad ones. As far as tips, I write down a lot of the submissions and takedowns and link them. For example:

From back control:
1) Hooks in
2) Rear Naked Choke
3) Set up to armbar

So basically if you have back control and you are attempting to choke your opponent out, but can't get the choke in deep, set up for an armbar from the same position. It's like a combo in boxing: 1-2 duck to your right, come back with a right hook followed by a left uppercut... they might see the hook coming, but not the body shot.

I sometimes close my eyes while rolling, this way i don't get baited when someone leaves an arm or leg for me.

Anyways pick up boxing, it is by far the most technical and difficult combat sport i've ever tried. I'm currently working on leg flexibility,hip flexibility, cutting weight, boxing, kicks, take downs and cardio, which would be good for any BJJ person. Seriously as dull as just punching may seem it is so much fun. Watch Roy Jones Jr or Prince Naseem fight it so cool. Tyson is a technical master and pacquiao is speed demon. Of course Ali is amazing and entertaining also. Muay thai should be learned after unless the instructor has a good boxing background.
Appreciate 0