Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
Your weight doesn't factor into the frame size. Things that matter are your height, inseam, arm length, etc. The only place your weight might matter is in your choice of wheels. You probably won't be able to go with something uber-lightweight, you'll want something slightly more sturdy. But on a used entry level bike, you really won't be finding any super lightweight wheels anyway.
i can wait on the super lightweight stuff if its above my budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feyd View Post
Couple tips:

Since you are over ~185lbs (Me too) depending on the bike you get you're definitely going to want to stay away from low spoke count wheels.

I had a set of wheels built for me when I got my CR1 a couple months back. Velocity Deep Vs (recommended for people over 220lbs) laced to some 32hole Ultegra hubs. Pretty much as bomb proof as you can get in a road wheel. Also ditch the 23mm tires for some 25mm or 28mm tires so that you can run lower pressures. This will also help minimize pinch flats + make your ride lots more comfortable. If you can't afford a full set, maybe just look at getting a rear wheel built up.

Invest in some good riding clothes. If you are going to go "crazy cardio" you'll want to get some cycling shorts/jerseys, etc. Forget about looking goofy, these clothes are designed the way they are for a reason and will wick moisture away from your body/pad the areas that need to be padded, etc. If you are modest at first you can get some "cycling boxers" that you can wear under your regular shorts that have the moisture wicking materials/padding.

And enjoy it.. it becomes very addictive.

Pic from last Friday ~ 5:30AM here on the lake.

when you say getting wheel built for you. are you saying you went to a ike shop and had them? thats a awesome looking bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
I prefer mountain riding, but it is hard to put aside enough time to get to the trail head, and get a ride in these days (wife and I had our first baby this year). I am fortunate to live in a very bike friendly area, but there are places and times that I just don't go because of traffic.
i did some mountain bike riding on a trail onthe base im stationed at (ft. Stewart) man that stuff is brutal. it was fun though. maybe i will try and get into both sports eventually. i know my area is not a biker friendly neighbor hood either. but there is a long stretch of highway availiable so i know i will definitely be riding on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
Agreed, he will get way more for his money if he can find a used bike that is a good fit.

If buying new, I would avoid buying your "entry" bike online, go to a LBS, the prices will be very close if not the same, they will be able to help you make the right decisions and get it set up. Also shop will often discount accessories for people who recently purchased a bike from thier store. My shop did this, and the offered a free 100 mile tune up.
but the proces on bikesdirect.com are awesome.

as far as the bike on bikesdirect.com what bike do you guys recommend? wow and they have free shipping if i read it correct. and i have new budget of $450 ( i found $50 at walmart.) i spoke to a guy at a bike shop yesterday over the phone and he said theat my size is between 52-54. so if we were to go by that what would you guys reccommend?
Appreciate 0