View Single Post
      08-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #49
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
when you say getting wheel built for you. are you saying you went to a ike shop and had them?
Yep... but not all bike shops build wheels. Just call ahead first. Again for you I'd recommend a Velocity Deep V wheel (32 hole) + some double butted spokes + however much hub you can afford. This can be something you do a bit down the road after you get over the initial bike expense. But if you start putting serious miles on a bike I'd bet you're going to end up with broken spokes/wheels out of true, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopealle View Post
as far as the bike on bikesdirect.com what bike do you guys recommend? wow and they have free shipping if i read it correct. and i have new budget of $450 ( i found $50 at walmart.) i spoke to a guy at a bike shop yesterday over the phone and he said theat my size is between 52-54. so if we were to go by that what would you guys reccommend?
I'd say go into a shop and get measured for real.... even pretend you are buying a bike if that's what you need to do to have it done. There is lots more to a quality fit than height/weight/inseam. So much more your head would litterally explode. I'm not saying that you need to go to a $300 fitting (what a good one will typically cost) since that in and of itself would kill your budget, but at least talk to someone in person who can actually measure you... at least hitting the big points. It won't be 100% perfect, but at least you'll have a good starting point and be able to test ride a couple sizes and see what fits you well.

If at that point you decide to go to bikesdirect then so be it.. you'll at least be armed with good info.

I'm 100% confident that if the bike doesn't fit.. you'll end up in pain and stop riding altogether. Then you would have wasted time/money and potentially lost a great hobby.
Appreciate 0