Thread: Road bikes?
View Single Post
      08-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #50
dth656
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i

misterskimask,

until now, i've followed the same thought process. i've always used the same type of pedal on all of my bikes (shimano m535, or whatever they are calling it these days), and very similar types of shoes (something close to lower end sidi mtn shoes in terms of geometry, sole stiffness, etc).

i've also always used the same amount of cleat tension over the years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSkiMask View Post
First, I consider myself a mountain biker who rides on the road for exercise, lately my road riding has far outweighed my mountain riding. My point is, I started on a mountain bike and use mountain bike gear when I ride.

I use the same type of pedals on both my road and mountain bike, Crank Brothers Candy http://www.crankbrothers.com/pedals_candy1.php my reasoning is that if I am redlined on a steep loose trail I want my gear to be familiar, I want my shoe to pop out of the pedal the same every time in case I really need to get out quick, and I can use the same shoes which I like and are comfortable on either bike. These pedals are not as streamlined and light as “road” pedals, but they are easy to get in and out of, the hold your shoe securely, and (importantly for this conversation) they don’t lock your shoe/foot into confining position, they allow for a bit of pivoting on the ball of your foot (if that makes sense). Your knee is not forced into an unnatural position.

I will concede that perfectly set up gear that allows no slop and is lighter would be more efficient, particularly if 1/10s of a second matter, but for recreational riding in an imperfect world I like my mountain pedals on my road bike. An added benefit is that mountain shoe have a bit more of a sole to them and the look like normal shoes when you get where you are going, you don’t get the tap-tap-tap with every step.