View Single Post
      05-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #5
SweetDee
Humble Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue 2020 M4 Comp

Personally I agree with the consensus thus far. I've previously purchased these extended warranties and I've always regretted it. I'm the type that always says they are going to keep a car for life then within a year or two I spot something else I like and I'm eating my words.

They talk to you into it because yes you can finance it along with the car and you can normally get a refund if you cancel it early, you never get your full amount back and despite the fact that you are buying it cheaper, the value of the warranty begins to depreciate despite the fact that it probably won't kick in until after the factory warranty of 4 years/50k miles.

If you get to that point and still decide that you want to keep this car forever, then a warranty is probably worth consideration given the repair costs but if you are willing to deal with a higher deductible you can still pick one up (even 3rd party) for a decent price while still protecting you from catastrophic failure.

The only thing I will probably consider is a tire warranty and based on the reasonable price of the Michelin Pilot SSs, I probably won't consider it for very long.

For every horror story you read about someone that didn't have a warranty, there are multiples of examples of people that didn't buy one and never needed it. You just don't hear about those because those people are too busy driving their cars to waste time to post a thread that they never needed an extended warranty.

To each their own but my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0