View Single Post
      02-07-2016, 06:08 PM   #20
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Just an update, I did the clutch swap a few weeks ago on jackstands, was like a 12-13 hour job. Spent 2 hours refitting the exhaust as the aftermarket downpipes were supplied with the wrong size bolts and made it difficult to rotate the mid pipes for a good fit. Was a two person job on jackstands, you'd be abel t odo this yourself but it would be difficult to drop/refit the transmission by yourself.

I used a transmission jack adapter on a standard jack. This was garbage. Ended up using my low profile jack and two people to balance the transmission on the jack while lining it up.

See last few posts on the install
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1191143

The top starter bolt gave me headaches as the bolt started to round off as I couldn't put torque on the ratchet and keep the head squarely on the bolt. Managed to get it off by supporting the ratchet and using all my finger strength to break it loose. Top bell housing bolt came out no issues. Once I broke the bolts loose I had them out in a few minutes, they spun out pretty easily. The long handle 3/8" flex head ratchet I linked was good for the job, don't get the stubby one as you won't have enough leverage to break the bolts loose.

To get the E18 bolts out, make sure you have a 3/8" E18 socket with a reasonably thin wall. My 1/2" E18 was too thick and I had to machine down the socket on my lathe. They need to be thin wall as the bolts are right next to the bell housing, which doesn't give much space for a socket.

Make sure you get new exhaust gaskets and exhaust bolts. The bolts that connect the muffler to the midsection were very soft and got stripped. Did not have the special bolts on hand and had to clean up the damaged threads with a die. Managed to get it all back on but man that was frustrating getting the midsection back on.