View Single Post
      02-25-2020, 07:58 AM   #2
Nachos Libres
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi RS7, 2020 BMW X7

So, I'm showing a normal 2014 550ix would be selling around $24k or so, give or take a $1k-$2k, depending on mileage and condition, in my area. So if you sell to CarMax you are leaving at least $10k-$12k on the table (assuming the issue was fixed). $13k to drop an engine seems expensive to me, do you have a local trusted independent mechanic who knows BMW's and can do the work (which would likely be much cheaper?). Then you could have the car fixed and then either trade in for a higher value or sell on your own.

If this isn't an option, try Carvana to sell. I'm in the process of selling a 2015 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite in very good condition and CarMax only offered me $19,000 for it. Carvana is offering $22,137 (which is the going rate in my area) and I'm taking it to them on Friday to hopefully get it sold.

Regarding your deposit, did you sign up for a non-refundable deposit? I mean, these aren't hard cars to sell, and I balk at any dealer that chooses to use a non-refundable deposit (my local BMW did the same to me, wanted to charge me a $5k non-refundable deposit for an X7 order and I ended up dealing with a dealer 120 miles away that never even asked for a deposit). I'm definitely a man of principle as well, but $2,500 is a lot of money. However, if you did choose to go through with a purchase of an X7 you may see if you can get a better deal from another dealer. You may be able to find a deal with another dealer that saves you more than $2,500 that you have on your current deal so that essentially you don't lose your deposit.

No matter what happens, I would fight to get that $2,500 back, and tell them that them not telling you previously about the service issues on your current BMW means you cannot do business with them again in good faith. Get the general manager involved if need be because I'm sure they don't want one of their customers out badmouthing them in the community.
Appreciate 0