02-25-2020, 04:46 PM   #19
Resjudicata
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M850i convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino15 View Post
Yikes! Tough crowd. I agree that I technically took the risk by owning the car out side of warranty, it just feels a bit suspicious that the issue was just noticed as I have been consuming oil at a crazy pace with immediate visits to the dealership to follow. My belief is that they were not inspecting the car to any level of meaningful detail during service visits.

I also agree with the idea of leasing (we lease my wife's GLS 450), I was just hoping to buy a car I could rely on to own for the next 5-7 years without fear of major mechanical breakdown or sever devaluation (Both of which hit me this time!)

UPDATE: I spoke to the Sales Mgr and he is pissed! Not at me, just at the service folks for not bringing the situation to his attention. He said "Of course, we would have taken it on trade" No mention of how much, have to assume it would be an ugly figure based on the most recent diagnosis. he said he "Really hated to lose a good customer to the dealership and the brand." I said "I might be back one day, sh*& happens, this was just a rough sequence of events"

He did say he would do what he can to make it right, I just think I want to move on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino15 View Post
Yikes! Tough crowd. I agree that I technically took the risk by owning the car out side of warranty,

own for the next 5-7 years without fear of major mechanical breakdown or sever devaluation (Both of which hit me this time!)

move on.

Also, respectfully the reason all new cars have "sever devaluation" is not because of magical'depreciation' ; it's because of new car warranties that cover these "major mechanical breakdowns". Using your words.

A new BMW x7 costs $80k+ and a used one out of warranty will probably cost $30-40k because of the risk of those major break down issues. And with any high performance and high electronics, like your 1990s cell phone; it will eventually break down or not be as modern as today's equipment.
I personally just recently got ride of my Blackberry, but I can't blame Blackberry that the battery finally died.
Appreciate 0