Thread: Tony Stewart
View Single Post
      08-10-2014, 02:41 PM   #12
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

I also didn't vote in the poll. Too much unknown, only one video view that I've seen, and multiple options could be selected/guessed right now.

But have to say that it doesn't look particularly good for Stewart.

- The video with sound conveys (for me) a very different feeling vs the one without.

Audio here: http://deadspin.com/reports-tony-ste...ing-1618893708

- Since the race was under caution, the rev and timing of the rev can be clearly heard. I don't associate that sort of rev and the subsequent posture of the car with an avoidance action.

- It's possible, but seems unlikely that Stewart would not have been heads up going into the corner of the incident, and was entirely surprised (last second) by Ward being there. Incident occurred just the previous lap, and there looked to be enough of a gap between him and the car ahead for a clear view.

- Ward made an effort to jump out of the way right before being hit -- like the proximity and direction of Stewart's car surprised him. And it looks to me that it was the back end of Stewart's car that clipped him after he stabbed the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Having watched a few clips it really does seem like Stewart went out of his way to either scare or hit the guy. I'd guess it was just aggressive posturing that went very wrong.
^^^
This is what I think probably happened also.

Tragic for the kid and especially his family.

Account from another sprint car racer sitting in the grandstands --

"Tony pinched him into the frontstretch wall, a racing thing," Graves said. "The right rear tire went down, he spun on the exit of (Turn) 2. They threw the caution and everything was toned down. Kevin got out of his car. … He was throwing his arms up all over the place at Tony for most of the corner.

"I know Tony could see him. I know how you can see out of these cars. When Tony got close to him, he hit the throttle. When you hit a throttle on a sprint car, the car sets sideways. It set sideways, the right rear tire hit Kevin, Kevin was sucked underneath and was stuck under it for a second or two and then it threw him about 50 yards."

Appreciate 0