08-10-2014, 03:20 PM   #21
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
I haven't voted yet since I need all the facts. Stewart is known as a hothead so did he do everything he could to avoid hitting him. Remember, they bumped each other in the previous lap. Either way, this is a tragic situation. I do believe a criminal investigation needs to happen to determine if it was intentional.
^ This.

I don't watch NASCAR, nor do I know the NASCAR rules. But in the HPDEs I run, the only time--ever--you get out of the car is if it's on fire. Period. If, as some have stated, this "happens all the time" then it's not if, but just when something like this will happen again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
The first thing your told before you get on any track is DO NOT GET OUT OF YOUR CAR. Ward needed to express himself to the celebrity, a bit of posturing that got him killed. Even if Stewart shares some fault, the huge majority of it rests with Ward.

They should have red flagged the race after he got out of his car, but this is different world than the one I'm used to.

I will say, at first I thought Stewart's line of sight might have been blocked, but it appears that he should have had a clear view of Ward. However, on track, your eyes are only looking for cars, corners and walls NOT people, easy to miss if your not expecting a guy in a black suit hopping around a live track.
This too. Red flag? And, as a driver, you're not looking for people. Hell, line, hitting marks, other cars front, side, rear, that's what the driver is looking for--that's what I'm looking for when driving on track. Never heard a question in a driver's meeting "what happens if there's a guy out of his car walking on the track?"

Last, need more facts. But as with most disasters and tragedies (e.g. bridge collapses, whatever) it's never one thing--it's a combination of a lot of factors that lead to horrible outcomes.
Appreciate 0