View Single Post
      08-10-2014, 11:47 PM   #50
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcpsoft View Post
This is an unfortunate tragic event that I hope prompts some changes at all levels of NASCAR. Living in NC, the NASCAR influence is everywhere. I've never been a fan of Tony Stewart, but he is incredibly talented, a driver's driver and races just about everything, which I respect.

One thing I see way too often are drivers at the Sprint Cup level getting into each other during a race, one gets wrecked, and then they get out of their car and run at the other car with their helmet off. Then, gets rebroadcast on the evening news (at least locally), SportsCenter, etc. to get a ratings boost and to show how "raw and unpredictable" NASCAR can be.

A historical and local smaller track with sanctioned NASCAR events is on the news regularly when the drivers wreck each other and get into fist fights in the pits. Again, this ends up on the evening news to boost ratings for the network and the event.

I think #1, Kevin Ward, Jr. should not have gotten out of his car and run out on the driving line. Unfortunately, this is what he and every other NASCAR fan sees at the highest level several times a year. I can't remember what network runs it, but during rain delays there's always a "Top 10 fights in NASCAR" segment. And after seeing all this you (NASCAR) expect your younger drivers to NOT behave like their heroes?

I hope this will prompt NASCAR to create a rule enforced at every level prohibiting drivers from exiting their car (unless it's on fire or their life is in danger, of course) until safety crews arrive and under no circumstances remove your helmet and walk on the racing line - penalized by immediate suspension.

Regarding Stewart, I can't tell definitively from the vids what he did or didn't do. You see his car and hear an engine, but how many other cars were on the track and closer to the camera? I'd need to see an onboard cam behind the driver to have a better idea of the Stewart perspective. Stewart has been in much worse altercations and I really doubt he intended to hit the other driver.

Finally, "rubbin' is racin' " as they say. Drivers are going to get in each other's way and someone's feelings are going to get hurt. If NASCAR encourages violence by not taking action when a driver walks on the track to slam his helmet on the offending car driving by, they are as much at fault as anyone.
+1

Well said.
Appreciate 0