08-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #44
csu87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 09 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgviper View Post
REACHING OUT FOR HELP!!!

Going to the gym has been my absolute favorite thing to do for the past ten years or so. Participated in a fit competition in college and then moved into power lifting and put up some descent max numbers:

Bench: 315 x 1
DL: 405 x 5
Squat: 335 x 8

Height: 5' 9"
Weight: 175 - 185

Within the past year and a half or so, life has been so chaotic that I just can't get myself into any sort of routine. Some weeks I get to the gym 2 times, sometimes, I have a good spurt of 5 times. Whatever it may be, it isn't consistent. My diet likewise is not consistent.

My question is:

What type of gym routine do you recommend for someone who is not able to make it to the gym consistently?

First solution I have tried:
having 3, 4 and 5 day routines with same goal and cycling through them depending on days I can make it to gym. First problem is that if I start a 4 or 5 day routine, chances are I don't make it through all the days. Likewise if I start a 3 day routine, I have no motivation in case I get a free day.

Second solution:
Focus on cardio. Cardio doesn't need any type of specific routine. You just have to do it. But then I feel like i'm getting smaller which I'm sure everyone here understands is not what you want to have happen.

Current solution:
Chest / Back - Heavy lifting (2 or 3 exercises each)
Legs / Abs - Focus on squat and then extensions and curls, again heavy lifting
Shoulders / Arms - (2 exercises each) Again focus on heavy movements
Crossfit Day - Do some crazy all body crossfit workout for stamina. Currently tried the following and thought I was going to die
run a mile
10 db squat press
10 pull ups
20 pushups
30 bodyweight squats
rest / repeat for as many sets as you can make it
run another mile

Current solution seems to be working ok. But in the next month, I am starting work that will last to the end of december which will keep me tied up from at least 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. and since i've always been a middle of the day gym person. No idea what i'm going to do.

ANY ADVICE IS WELCOME! Thanks in advance.
I am in a similar situation where I cant always get to the gym or dont have a ton of time in the gym. Here is what I do.

3 Day Cycle

Day 1: Chest.
Major Lifts: Start with regular Bench, then move to Incline and Decline Bench.
Ancillary Lifts: If time allows, get several Fly Variation Exercises then do Bis/Tris last.

Day 2: Deadlift Day.
Major Lift: I did the 100 Rep Deadlift Workout for 10 weeks and had great results. https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10...ap-bar-workout or just do a high weight, low rep workout or any deadlift regimen you enjoy. However, keep in mind that this is also counting as a leg day, so keep that in mind when choosing a deadlift workout.
Ancillary: Once done with deadlifts, hit leg extensions/leg curls type excersises. Then Rows/Pull downs then arms if time allows.

Day 3: Shoulders.
Major Lift: Overhead Press, Cleans, Shrugs for the main lifts,
Ancillary: front and side raises then arms if tim allows.

If I am able to make it a 4th day, I will either hit the ancillary lifts that I missed on the 3 days or, if I was able to make it through all those lifts, I do the major lifts again with similar weight/reps as the original days. Bench, Deadlift, Overhead Press, Cleans.

Optional 5th/6th/7th are Cardio, Abs, High rep/low weight major lifts.

This has worked out best for me since I can get through the major lifts in about 30minutes, and will at least keep strength/size up until I start having more time for the ancillary lifts. These 4 lifts, Bench, Deadlift, OH Press and Cleans should be the staples of any workout routine, and adding in squats will also help, but isnt needed if doing that 100 rep deadlift workout. And, I hate cardio so doing those on the optional days is a win/win for me.

As for diet, it is tough but you have to set your mind to following it. Ive resorted to making my lunches/snacks on Sundays, so I can just grab and go during the busy week. Salads with chicken are always easy and stay fresh, lots of nuts, and always having a protein shake or 2 on hand makes for quick and easy snacking.
Appreciate 0