09-06-2019, 01:31 AM   #25
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
I have blue since I specifically wanted a color.

But to answer your question it starts from resales. Cars with colors were harder to move upon lease turn in, so dealers ordered less of them.
If dealers order less (even though you can custom order a color), when impatient people want to walk off the lot with a car and not order and wait, they ended up with a machine in greyscale since that's all there was.
And the cycle just made itself worse since more bland made more bland available.

Seth
Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
trend in specific years.. national mood changes..
white got vastly popular and almost all cars look great in white and its cheaper and easy to taking care of.. for comparing colors among brands its better to compare premium to premium or sports to sports.. cause if you compare popular color on Ferrari which is red, has no similarity on Merc's popular color white or black.. + French manufacturers are still into colors more than Germans for example..

mine recent 2 were Monte Carlo Blue and Phoenix Yellow..
I think you are onto something here. In the late 00’s the global financial crisis hit and the black and white colors have always been “free”. People still needed cars and maybe they chose the “free” option to save money. At the same time leasing started to become big and why pay for a color when the car would go again after a short period of time?

Even though many smaller cars are offered in colors I still often only see them in white/black so it is not just about the colors offered by the car manufacturer but mainly in the minds of people to select non colors.

I btw found this about the correlation between accidents and colors: https://www.citywidelaw.com/los-ange...nd-crash-risk/

I also found this statistic that looks at the correlation between happiness and color choice: https://www.jct600.co.uk/blog/statis...-colour-stats/ - people with white/black/grey cars are more sad than others. So lets all buy more exiting colored cars to make the world a better place.