View Single Post
      09-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #12
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntgarage44 View Post
I'd love to see where you came up with that conclusion other than your own opinion based on the source material above. Personally, I find it hard to believe that there are less wealthy people than there were 10 years ago. I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm not going to say you're correct either. I made a hypothesis based on the sales figures of what I think the reason is, but your counter argument was stated as fact, in which case, you must have found the statistics somewhere to back up the claim that there aren't any more wealthy people today than there used to be. If you happen to remember where you found those stats, please share it. I'm genuinely interested in reading it.
To be fair, my statement was a bit hyperbolic. I'm sure SOME people have crossed the gap. I still contest that the uptick in sales isn't those people. As to my statement, that's just based on the distribution of resources. The wealthiest 1% is increasing their total share of the countries resources, not decreasing. So in general. The 1% is absorbing the economic growth at a rate that's an order of magnitude higher. I believe the number was around 22% of the nations income is going to the top 1%. This is also coming off of the recent recession saw the top income earners falling 4%, while the bottom 99% fell over 20%. ( https://files.stlouisfed.org/files/h...inequality.pdf )

It's speculation, but I don't think it's crazy to suggest that rich people buying higher quantities of expensive cars doesn't help the majority of folks.