Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heimdall View Post
I've been trying to activate the rear fog lights for some time now.
The issues are assuming they are located in the bumper and not the tail lights assembly
1) there are hardware limitations as in the US these units are merely reflectors without the actual bulbs.
2) the physical switch is missing from the lights switch unit left to the steering wheel. The place is actually blank and missing the button.

Waiting for someone to crack that to copy
So a few thoughts here based on my previous experience with this mod on my F80 M3...

1) I just took a look at the X7 tail lights. Unlike the tail lights on my F80 M3, I can't see inside them to see if there are actually rear fog light bulbs present. On the M3 tail lights, the rear fogs are integrated LED bulbs so one would think it is the same on the X7. Maybe one of our Euro forum members can help to verify by posting a pic with the rear fogs turned on....

2) The US spec light switch module does not have a rear fog button. But just like on the F80/F30 light switch module, it appears to have a "blank" where the button would be. However, just like on the F80/F30 light switch module, it could be possible to modify the blank to become a functioning button as seen in this thread here:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1023817

If modifying the US spec switch module is not possible, then you will need to get a Euro light switch module with the rear fog button as seen here (or maybe you may want one for aesthetics reasons):

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_5884

3) Next comes the coding. Assuming BMW did not change the basic coding methodology for this functionality, you will need to code at least two modules: one for the rear lights and one for the light switch (see the thread link above, towards the bottom). A third module my need to be coded, the gauge cluster module, due to the digital dash implementation in the G-series cars - not sure about that one though.

With any luck, the US switch mod will work and coding will be easy such that using Bimmercode in Expert Mode (or just incorporated into Bimercode) will make this one an easy mod, just like on the F80/F30.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 1
Heimdall136.50