View Single Post
      04-17-2011, 06:07 PM   #104
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Not much to say that hasn't been expressed yet. 2 Mighty drives from Hamilton and Webber but Hamilton has to take the drive of the day. His overtakes were massive, and to result in the win just seals the end of a great race.

Hamilton, Absolutely fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTM View Post
Pirelli has a lot of catching up to do. The rate at which a tire drops off is very great, and it is these differences which facilitate a lot of the passing we have seen so far.
I wouldn't blame Pirelli. They have done exactly what was asked of them. Even if they had made the tires degrade in a different way, say putting all that excess rubber down onto the pavement as grip instead of as marbles off the line. Then you would end up with people on tires past their prime that could still run decently. What we have now is near mandated pit stops because when the tires are gone they are done with.

On Vettel's strategy, as Horner said even if they had gone with a 3 stop strategy as soon as Vettel lost the place out to both McLarens at the start this put him off the race win. At lap 45 I remember seeing Hamilton closing on Vettel with the gap under 20 seconds. For Vettel to pit would have only served to make things worse. Red Bull went with the 2 stop to gamble their way out of Vettel's poor stop. I was surprised to see Button ~10 seconds at the end of the race, but it seems his last set of tires didn't serve him as well.

Hamilton and Webber proved today the benefit of having 4 sets of fresh tires and this will change the game in coming Qualifying sessions.