View Single Post
      02-26-2018, 12:36 PM   #1
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

UPDATE! Fuel Efficiency Test: 34.7 MPG over 224 miles

I received a few comments and messages requesting a real-world MPG test to confirm the accuracy of the on-board MPG computer.

Test started with a full tank and my odometer at 46,088 miles and the trip computer/MPG reset. According to the computer, I covered 262.3 miles and averaged 20.3 MPG. This is a combination of city driving (Washington, DC), highway (beltway, 495, etc) and backroads around great falls. I recently installed KW V3's and have been enjoying the snot out of them, so this MPG reading is much lower than usual.

I ran the tank close to empty and found my car had spent 12.37 gallons.

Let's do some math:

262.3 miles / 12.37 gallons = 21.2 MPG

If I've done this correctly, my MPG computer was .9 MPG conservative in this scenario. This is good news, since many have concerns that the on board computer is optimistic.

After Fuelling - reset Trip and MPG

Miles covered & AVG MPG (lead foot after the KW V3 Install)

Gallons added:

If any of you have followed my posts, It's no secret that I hype up the M235i; but come on... this is objectively impressive.

At 2:00 PM this past Friday (2/23), I drove 224 miles via I-95 from Washington, DC to Times Square, NYC. My highway speeds ranged between 65-70 mph and I only hit about 30 total miles of traffic, split between Baltimore and NJ Turnpike. Note that I drafted behind semis as often as possible, I'd say 25% of the trip.

Tank was filled prior to the trip + reset trip computer. The total drive consumed half a tank @ 224 miles with an average of 34.7 mpg, implying a total range of approximately 475-500 miles, traffic permitting.

I can't think of any direct competitors to the F22, especially at 320 hp and 6 pots, that can match this fuel efficiency? Perhaps the Golf R/S3 are contenders with fewer cylinders and less power...

]

Last edited by Sail Boat; 05-25-2018 at 08:29 AM..
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2355.00