Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 i4 M50

Garage List
2022 BMW i4 M50  [0.00]
2022 BMW X7  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmann33 View Post
1) your 1st reason (reliabilty) might be a stronger reason to buy instead of lease. With lease, your stuck with it. I'm guessing that if you had leased that Tesla X you would still be driving it??
Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
FWIW, here is my take on your lease vs buy decision for x7:
1) reliabilty - if you are willing to sell the car early because of poor reliability, you will most likely not do well on the resale. Lease residuals of 60% are very good compared to recent history. You can also swap a lease to get out early (I assume BMW allows it but am not 100% sure). If reliability is a concern, I would rather lease.
I definitely agree on leasing instead of buying if reliability is a concern, especially if you negotiate a good lease deal because swapping out would be that much more attractive to the buyer assuming they don't mind dealing with the warranty as much. BMW does allow lease assumptions (buyer pays a ~$450 fee to cover the paperwork). You could also trade a leased car just like any other car, you'll have a payoff you could check at any point in the lease in the same manner as if you financed the whole car, so you basically have 2 outs.
Appreciate 0