View Single Post
      11-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #9
435iaffair
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 435i, Z4M, M157 E63

Garage List
2014 435i  [9.00]
If it's the only car I'd probably opt for the 3 pedals. I just need to row my gears sometimes.

But the ZF8 and N55 are a perfect match. You're always in the powerband and the torque is always there. I still get a stupid grin from the upshift fart noise every time. The transmission is very smooth when you're just in traffic, but aggressive when you want to get on it.

The best part IMO is that the downshifts are instantaneous - tap the paddle 3 times and it jumps straight to the gear for you, almost as quick as doing it yourself with a manual transmission, and as a result you don't really feel like you lose too much "control" switching over from a 6mt. This made replacing my old manual tranny DD with the auto 435i easier for me.

It's hard to beat downshift rev-matching/heel-toe with a 3rd pedal though. For me that's pure bliss. If that's a big thing for you then you may regret the switch. Otherwise the ZF8 makes the 6mt feels like a technology from the last century (better MPG, much faster shifts, easier in traffic, etc.), as I'm sure you're well aware of coming from a DCT car.
Appreciate 0