Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by iveman89 View Post
Heard the same story. Something about how the front of the car was on fire so fast, speculation was the fluid caught fire or something. Dont know how I feel about that or if it changes the story..
Well, if the steering fluid leaked out there wouldnt be much left to catch fire, so I doubt that. Hydraulic steering failure is possible, but it would have to be sudden to cause the car to go off the road like that. I wonder whether the steering fluid is at any higher pressure than normal in that car.

Quote:
as for rate of speed vs damage done, the car is carbon fiber and hitting a tree at an angle forget about it. He probably could have been going 50-60 and car will look like it exploded it bits. What I find interesting is the cabin wasn't a breakaway design. You see supercars (Ferrari and Lamborghini) get in accidents and the cabin is intact. I know the carrera is open top..
Well, the fuel tank probably exploded somehow. I wonder if they used any kind of octane boost or race gas. Might not have happened with a diesel car, but who knows.

Quote:
another side note, my dad told me he had a carrera gt in the shop. Car went too wide at laguna seca and hit the tail on the wall or rail. He said it wasnt bad, but they totaled the car. $150,000+ for carbon fiber parts alone.
The number of hands that car went through is crazy. One owner put 200 miles on it before selling it. Probably the prior owners were "investors" trying to make a quick buck, but maybe some were drivers and decided it was too dangerous to drive.

Those cars cost enough, they should have an optional ejection seat, or at least a halon system.
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0