Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leif20 View Post
I have run total quartz 5w30 ll-04 and now castrol 0w40 LL-01. Have not done oil analysis on either but am hoping to in the near future.

2 things in this thread have caught my eye, hoping I can get an answer:

1. Mobil 1 at one point had the LL-01 designation but now doesnt, yet plenty of people still run it. Is it simply still good oil and M1 didn't want to pay for the certification? Would the users here running this oil without the certification feel comfortable running that oil for 10k miles?
2. I saw it mentioned that castrol will not be LL-01 soon. What's the source for that? Would that put it in the same bracket as the M1 oil? Personally I would probably feel comfortable using the castrol 0w40 if there was no obvious change in properties other than it losing the LL-01.
IMHO, Not worth doing oil analysis unless your engine type is known to have issues, such as the S54, S65, or S85. I've done it on my M Coupe (S54) on every oil change using various oil (Castrol, Redline, Liqui Moly, etc) with and without additional additives. All the analysis return wear to be very similar. All the results returned have plenty of life left in the oil on my 6k - 8k OCI, which means that 10K is easily achieved. A lot of the anti-wear additives are also pretty similar among the popular brands.
  1. As indicated in my previous post, I have been using M1 on my 2004 X5 (M54) since 2008 with or without the LL-01 certification with the average 10k/annual OCI. Seeing how squeaky clean the engine was running that OCI, I wouldn't even bat an eye if I need to run it longer than that.
  2. I would like to see references to that as well (Castrol losing LL-01), but wouldn't hesitate to use it with or without that LL-01 certification
Appreciate 1
leif2030.00