clee1982
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 540i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soterios View Post
My car is just a 135i. I believe I have (short push) traction control off and (long push) traction control off and stability control off.

DSC was frustrating because if the car stepped out at all it just killed power. If it just lightly corrected I might not mind it, but it feels like a car hitting fuel cut. That kills any kind of spirited driving experience in my opinion, so I always turn it off.

I don't have a way to phrase this without sounding overly confident or condescending, but I'm not afraid of a little wheel spin or oversteer. I think a little self control and a bit of driving experience goes a long way. 99% of my driving time doesn't involve a need for stability control, so why turn it on? That 1% that it would kick on is exactly when I don't want it to.
I wonder how has BMW DSC progress over the years, I would guess the earlier implementation cuts off sooner (since they can't tune it as finely as they can do now).

The only time I can really recall track control kicks in was in a Hertz rental 2009? Mazda 6 in Ithaca, NY during a snowstorm (had to drive to NYC to get to JFK the next day, so...).

I can definitely feel the brake kick in, can't quite remember if I got the fuel cut feeling, back end definitely slide a few times for sure though...
Appreciate 0