View Single Post
      10-11-2019, 10:04 PM   #14
WestRace
Major
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
How about the cost of building ships, trains, trucks to carry fuel, the machines and fuel required to build all of those things, the fuel used getting that fuel to places...etc. When you think about it, the amount of infrastructure that has to "power" delivering gas to your gas station is huge.
That's a valid point. When we measure MPG of an ICE car, we don't take into account those things. And of course it will be impossible since there are just too many variables. I guess when they calculate the MPG of an electric car, they probably stop at the power station. That is equivalently, how much oil (or energy) for the power company to generate one charge per car ... Taking everything into account probably not possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
We may not have full electric infrastructure, but we at least have enough to run some cars on electricity and it's clear that will be far more efficient than having to transport fuel all over the place to these end-user locations.
I understand electric cars are more efficient than ICE cars overall. My point is the amount of Lithium that can be extracted is limited just like oil so eventually you will run into supply issues.
Appreciate 0