Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
No, I mean the 718 motor. Now that the TT-S is going away, seems like the demand for the higher output EA888 is going away, so share the 718 boxers with the Golf R. It would differentiate it from the regular GTI and TCR version.

Plus it would sound different, something I really enjoyed about the first two R32s. This all assumes that you can run it sideways of course.

I'm one of the few that seems to find flat fours in VWs and Porsches perfectly nostalgic and awesome. Even if I also think the GT4 with the n/a six is perfect. Both can and should exist, and it would be especially cool to see a GT4 RS with the full boat 4.0L at some point.
OIC. I Am not sure how they’d fit it, maybe at an angle? And you’re right, it does sound good especially in sport mode.
The exhaust would obviously be a mess for the Golf, and not equal length. I suppose you could do it like the VR6 with a central setup but you'd lose some of the sound. The Haldex setup would actually probably be easier since the motor should be a good bit smaller width wise (when sideways) than the EA888.
Appreciate 0