pennsiveguy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 xDrive50i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Provided you would accept $679 CAD (our play money), I'd consider it. But in USD, nope. Already paying $930/month for the S6.

Yeah, I've been there. Not often, but I've been there. Once so much I felt physically sick just getting out of bed in the morning knowing I had to go to work. But it was a bad engagement all round, the two partners didn't like each other and I was whipping boy in the middle.

Sucks dude, not much I can say, you put in the time or you move. I finished the engagement and then I resigned from the firm because I was just done. Didn't even have another job to go to, was planning on two or three months break while my wife worked (lol), but an opportunity came up within a month that I couldn't turn down.

Keep plugging.
I had to walk off a consulting gig several years back. It was a really sensitive project so they couldn't tell me much about it in the mutual interview/get-to-know-you process. They didn't balk at the rate I quoted them, so we inked the deal. Came in and was horrified at what a cluster it was. They had been kicking this thing down the street for 6 years and it wasn't even close to being in a viable state. Nobody there had worked anywhere else, so they didn't know how truly terrible they were at what they were trying to do. Dunning-Kruger effect squared. I lasted 6 weeks, at which point I decided I didn't want the liability of being traceable to this thing, if it ever made it into production (which seemed really unlikely). I bailed, which cost me a business relationship with a guy who I really liked doing business with and considered to be a good friend. Freedom isn't free, unfortunately.

The guy they had hired before me only lasted 2 days, so I guess I kicked his ass by hanging in there for 6 weeks. Heard a couple years later that the whole project was cancelled after 7 years and almost $100MM spent. I was really relieved to hear that. Failure of this particular system would have brought financial calamity to the US, and I'm not exaggerating even a tiny bit. The only thing to do with a project that dysfunctional is to take it out behind the barn and put a bullet in its head.

Lesson: if you value your principles, your integrity and your sanity, sometimes you just have to walk away. Maintain your finances accordingly so that when the time comes you can pull the trigger and live off your "Fuck You" fund for a while. There's nothing worse than being stuck in a situation that's sucking the life out of you.
Rmtt8206.00