View Single Post
      09-07-2022, 06:49 PM   #249
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkNinja400Guy View Post
I had read the same thing about traffic light recognition *and* stop sign recognition on the forums: their current recognition algorithm works well in the EU but not in the US. The next gen software on the '23 7 / April X7 / future models should recognize properly in the US as well.

Because of that, I didn't spend time on trying to figure out how to code TLA or stop sign assist. In your experience, is it useful in the US? Worth the time to code it?

#2, is that for moving your vehicle to the edge of your lane to make room for the emergency vehicle lane like they do on the Autobahn?

Can you describe what #4 and 5 do?
Part 1 of your question:
It's hard for me to recommend TLA in the use. Traffic light is a sensitive feature, and if anyone wants to try it I always recommend that at least keep their hand on the wheel and foot on the brake all the time. Personally, I found it to be very useful. The reason BMW decided to not make it available naturally for the current hardware available on the X7s pre or post LCIs is that the camera and hardware may not be ready yet to recognize the location of the traffic light versus the cutoff line where you need to stop the vehicle here in the US. In Europe, it's easier as in most cases the traffic light is where the cut-off stop line is. The system works really well for me in the US, but I would say it does miss some traffic lights in a way that it stops or cross the white line were we should legally stop. The hardware in the 7-series sedan and the refreshed upcoming X7 have a different set of camera, and with combination with software optimization, will be able to better predict where to stop. To me, it does worth it if you code it correctly.

Part 2 of your question:
#2, yes, it is for moving your vehicle to the edge of your lane to make room for the emergency vehicle lane like they do on the Autobahn, basically automatically.

Part 3 of your question:
It is the for the high-way exist assist. When using BMW navigation, in some highways, vehicle will assist you to be where you need to be to take the highway exist based on your destination.
The coding needed for this is below
<group id="3000">
<function start="183" end="183" comment="C_QmaN_Vorhanden - nr001_vorhanden" mask="11111111b">00</function>
<function start="184" end="187" comment="C_SLA_QmaN_Land_aktiv - FFFFFFFF" mask="11111111b">FA, C3, 81, F8</function>

For the last part, #5 allows you to let the vehicle decide on the optimum safe distance between you and the vehicle based on driving conditions and speed, and it also reduces it's speed when you are on speed control as you approach a circle or hard turn. You may find this already in your system for some vehicles. If you don't have it and want to code it, let me know.
Appreciate 1