10-15-2017, 02:28 PM   #717
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
My current bike has gravel tires, so it handles the rails to trails types easily. In fact, I did a 7 mile stretch of rails to trails yesterday. The trails around the lake go from easy dirt to tough, rooty climbs. I'll have to go grab some pics and post them up here.

On another note, I met a woman from the LBS riding group who I've been following on Strava. She's my age (late 50's) or maybe a tad older. If she weighs more than 100lbs I'd be surprised. She eats 50 mile rides for breakfast and regularly does century rides. One last week, in fact. Yesterday she completed a 400k ride in Wisconsin. 22 hours total time of which 18 were moving time. I'm stunned and impressed beyond words. Here are her ride stats from Strava.

Randonneur 400K
249.1mi
6,860ft
Achievements 46

Ruth accomplished her 250mi weekly cycling goal.

Cross Plains to Sauk City QOM (1:25:48)
North St Bump up West side 2nd overall (2:12)

As you can see from her QOM and 2nd overall segments, she wasn't slacking on this ride. And I was feeling pretty good about my 20 mile ride yesterday. She's just getting warmed up after 20 miles. This woman is my new hero.
You'll likely want a mtb of those rooty climbs. Possibly a short travel XC full suspension MTB or a Plus tire hard tail.

Ruth is in it to win it!! That's awesome to find someone to aspire to. But don't let her accomplishments minimize your efforts. You're currently doubling your mileage efforts from just a week or so ago. THAT's awesome. Don't forget that Ruth has put in nearly 9k miles so far this year. We'd ALL be fantastic riders if we road 200 plus miles a week.

To add some perspective to your abilities. In Ruth's QOM you posted she did 15.1 miles in 1h 25m with a 402ft of elevation which is an average speed of 10.6mph. On your last ride of 20.7 miles, you did it in 1h 36m, gaining 531ft of elevation which is an average of 13mph. True, her segment came during a very long endurance ride but, there were also only 23 people to ever cross that segment. If you took your 13mph average and applied it to the segment she did, you'd only be 3 spots away from being the KOM.

I think i posted about that a while back where Strava stats can be deceiving. One thing about Ruth's Strava that isn't deceiving, is her dedication and love for cycling. Someone like that is the perfect cycling hero to have! Just don't forget that you're making your own serious strides in furthering your own cycling abilities.

P.s. I'm not minimizing Ruth's accomplishments, she's a rock star! I'm just pointing out that you are rapidly accumulating your own.