03-29-2019, 09:22 AM   #29
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleJoe View Post
I had 2020 Mercedes GLE on order since Nov 2018 but wanted to look at one of it's direct competitors, the X5, so we stopped into our local dealer and took it for a test drive. I loved everything about the X5 (looks, handling, comfort, leather finishes, etc.) except the 2nd row leg room was not nearly as generous as the new GLE so we decided to strike the X5 off our list. A week later the salesman called me and said they had received their first batch of X7's and offered me to come back and test drive a 40i. I couldn't resist but my wife wasn't interested because she preferred a smaller vehicle so our son came along. We owned a GLS 550 which is the direct competitor to the new X7 so I had a better perspective of what BMW was trying to accomplish with their newest big rig. Wow, I was blown away by the luxury, attention to detail, drive, comfort, and on and on. But one of the first things that draw my attention was the massive leg room in the 2nd row. As stated above, the X5 2nd row leg room was not that generous but the X7 excels in roominess. Within a week the dealership managed to make me an offer I couldn't ignore so back for another test drive along with my wife but this time we drove a 50i. Several hours later it was sitting in our garage.
Congrats! There's several of us here, for whom 2nd row legroom is very important. Just like you, I was highly considering the X5, but think I'll be going with the X7, and one of the primary reasons is the way that the X7 can slide the 2nd row back to create more legroom. Even though I have no need for the 3rd row.
Appreciate 0