11-06-2015, 05:17 PM   #12
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82
It's so sad. They really could have done a better job. I don't understand where they went wrong. Is it the exhaust or the twin turbo setup? The M2 or m235i with MPE sounds so much better.

I'm going for a final test drive tomorrow in the M3 and sound will be a major factor for me to seal the deal. I think aftermarket exhausts don't solve the problem and just mask it with unnecessary loud noise you expect to hear from some ricer shit box. This is all based on YouTube vids so I hope it sounds better in person. But then I've never heard a bad e92 or e46 vid. People need to remember that.

There is a m3 in my neighbourhood and when I think it's it driving down my street I jump to my balcony only to discover its something like a Honda shitbox. This says it all. A m3 should be instantly recognisable. Just like a e92 or e46. You could take a blind fold test any day!
I think you hit it on the head.

It is most probably the twin turbo which makes the aural print of two, three-cylinder engines running together.

The N variants instead have a single turbo and so generate a six-cylinder engine sound.

The GTS does sound menacing but not exotic. And the sound quality is poor probably because the microphone saturated being so close and the 240p resolution also minimized the dynamic range of the sound track.

I am sure owning a GTS would make any owner pretty happy behind the wheel.
Appreciate 1