01-13-2024, 08:56 AM   #93
BMW5and7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X7;X5;S-Class;Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saejin View Post
..//..
Read here or somewhere else, can’t remember…MY best selling car…whatever…can only get that because they’re discounting them so much I guess.
I wrote that; but the argument is not true. Model Y is NOT discounted at all for their size and what they offer. They are as-expensive (or more expensive) than several other mid-size SUVs. You can argue that the best selling car is the best selling car only because it is discounted. Best selling is best selling regardless, but on average Model Y trims are more expensive that Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot, and can be as expensive as X3, while the Model Y Performance is almost as expensive as an X5 40i. I do NOT own a Model Y, but the car is amazing, has 3rd row as an option, smooth, super reliable, awesome family car. It's the best for being the best. Kinda silly (for anyone, speaking in general) to blindly take away from a car that did well and not giving it credit. U can't be the best selling car globally for no reason. Having said that, I personally would never trade in our X5 for a Model Y. I still prefer our X5 (but u know, it's also much more expensive than a Y, comparing both new-new prices).

As for Model S price drop, in fact, they never dropped, but they peaked to 120K for the Plaid and +100K for Model S during COVID only and those who bought it in 2021 should have known better. It's now back to normal as it was prior to 2020 or lower (Model S was 70+74 in 2020 pre-covid) and it's almost similar for the base model. Name a single brand that maintained now it's pricing to pre-COVID prices? Almost none except a few, certainly now the ones we typically drive. Pricing strategy of Tesla is all based on small margins and balancing demand vs supply. Their margins are too low now and that's the right time to buy. I hope they never peak again, as this would mean there is a global issue again. When prices has peaked at that time, most other brands were NOT selling new cars and the wait was 1 year, and when they do sell a car, they sell it for 20K above MSRP. in 2021 I was shopping for the new Escalade, almost all dealers where asking 15K over MSRP. That's the same exact way as price increased but in a nastier way. Tesla does NOT play the dealers game, they sell direct, and they simply increased their prices to be profitable during supply issues, so that was not an isolated issue, and again in my view it is not a price reduction, it was a price increase that now is gone and back to normal.

I am not a fan-boy of Tesla, in fact, I am not a fan of any car, and likely there is almost nobody I know who switches cars and enjoys them by going from one to another as fast as I do. So I have zero emotions to any brand or car I own, and I have always been honest about my ownership experience even if it bothers others who are attached to their cars, and just blindly hate other brands. Before I got one, I used to do the same (even here) as I never appreciated the brand enough (which is why I can't fault anyone from doing that now), but I knew it was based on blindly making assumptions. I can tell you now from experience, just like many (real owners) said, the Model S is the best car I ever owned in my life. Even the best car for it's price too. I would still buy this car even if it was priced the same as COVID years. Luckily I bought it during normal pricing years just last year. I don't understand it when people just talk trash about Tesla from the outside counting on their friends or colleagues feedback. Thinking about the 5-series or i5, it is soooo silly to even think of comparing them as the i5 is more expensive, yet it's worse than the S in almost every single aspect based on current pricing (i5 has less space, more cramped, lower range, slower charging, less stability, software and UX is not even close, mobile app is not even close too, etc). Even for an ev to ev comparison, Model S still has the edge over other Sedans in the 75-90K range. U can't fault them for peaking prices when almost no brand was selling EVs during COVID as non of them could afford getting the raw materials needed for batteries then. Only people with bad experiences are vocal, just like here on this form with the X7 LCI first few months, omg the car almost seemed like real trash from all the on-going issues. In reality, it is still a great SUV. I'd only take feedback from those who tried the brand, yet tried it long enough, and I wouldn't take isolated/single experiences. If you do, no body should ever buy 2022+ X7 based on my experience (mine was a peace of trash build quality wise from all sides, creaking noises, moonroof noise, side door wind noise, trunk door misaligned, etc), but it's just me, others are still happy. It's the combined sum of a large pool of owners and what they think of the brand. In that case, Tesla owners, for the majority of them, would never ever look back and switch to another brand, but u'd still find a few people with bad experiences, but not a majority).

Last edited by BMW5and7; 01-13-2024 at 09:19 AM..
Appreciate 0