United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3, 2020 X7 40i

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [10.00]
2020 BMW X7  [0.00]
2019 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I have found some sites that supposedly have invoice pricing, but I do question the validity of the numbers. This is because doing some quick math with these invoice $$ I found, typically 7-8% off MSRP = Invoice. But people are apparently getting deals in the 8-10% off MSRP range which means they are getting the vehicle below invoice.

The devil is in the details of course. When taking into account incentives, money factors, etc, the dealers are still obviously making money. But for me, I am not sure the "old school" method of making an initial offer of "$XXX over invoice" is the best way to get the best deal today unless you have access to true invoice numbers. But even if you could find real invoice numbers, I am not sure if that methodology would be as effective as you could still be leaving money on the table.

I like the tactic of going in high (10-12% off MSRP) in parallel with the factory incentives you are eligible for, and go from there. The thought being the incentives are pure dealer profit (from the factory) to make up for the higher percentage off MSRP eating into their profit. I see it like this, the dealer will still make money on a deal with me, but they won't make maximum profit on me (like people who walk in off the street and buy cars at MSRP - which happens pretty frequently I have been told). I am reasonable, but in the age of internet car shopping, if the dealer doesn't want to "work" with me, I will just find another.

X3 XDrive 30i - 2019 G01 Mineral White (wife's) / 128i 6MT - 2009 E82 Jet Black (son's)
Appreciate 0