04-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #150
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmciver View Post
Actually, considering where the global economy is heading due to COVID-19, discounts at those levels could mean that they are losing some money, at least on a per car basis in the current vehicle inventory. However, big and very profitable business like BMW have very large cash reserves and are most likely looking at the long term profit picture. Also, BMW, like other large companies with franchises, are finding ways to help their privately owned dealerships weather the storm from a short term cash flow perspective. Sales and profit figures for the few months of COVID-19 will definitely hurt, but in the long term (as long this down economy does not last too long), big companies like BMW will be just fine - and still make their money. All that bing said, it should mean good deal opportunities for the consumer whose income is unaffected by the COVID-19 situation, at least in the coming months.
I think you are partially right, yep they will probably lose money, "hopefully" they have enough cash reserves to survive. Since they are private we dont really know.

I mean GM didnt have enough during 2008/2009. I don't equate big to necessarily smart with their cash. The Airlines are toast and they were having record years of profit, but instead of saving some, they bought their own stock back. I mean they still probably would be in trouble either way due to how bad it has gotten for air travel, but they pretty much were in trouble right away.

There are companies that you think are large and solid and cant pay next month's rent on their buildings.

That being said we were thinking of upgrading our X5 to and X7 next year, but man if the prices really come down we may do it now.