View Single Post
      09-02-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
StewtheBassman
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d 421,000kms

Should I get another X5 or something else completely?

Looking for opinions and advice here.

So my wife drives the X5, but it's an '02. The AWD system is pretty crappy in winter, even with the proper winter tires. She had some scary moments last winter.

She uses it about 30,000kms a year, and she loves the X5.

We use it to tow the horse trailer in summer, so that's about 10% of its use.

We're looking at '04 X5s, with xDrive, and as they start to come off lease, the deals are there, CPO (with that great CPO warranty).

However, most of them will be selling no less than 45k (CDN).

So if you were me what would you do? (remember, I drive 50k kms a year, and believe xDrive is fantastic...I give her the car when the weather is bad 'cause it's so much better than the X5)

a) Keep my e90 xi and just get her another X5. (remember, premium gas and so-so mileage, even with the 3.0 engine)

b) give her my car and get myself a comfortable FWD econobox to commute in (20k for a Honda or a Mazda) and find a used pickup truck (15-20k) and haul the trailer and horse poo with that.

c) give her my car and find myself a used CPO 5 series (pre-Bangle) to commute in, and get the same used pickup truck?

Our most important considerations are reliability, roadworthiness (for her) in winter (winter doesn't really bother me), and yes, the Badge.

I need the utility of a truck for the light farmwork we do, and it must be a 4x4.

I showed her the 2007 Avalanche brochure and spoiled it cleaning up her barf.

Any ideas?

Appreciate 0