View Single Post
      11-28-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
ARam
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinzena View Post
If you guys want to modify the sound of your exhaust, without adding MPPK here is how to do it -- I did it on my 340i and it sounds pretty darn good. The system described below appears to be the same on the new X5:

There is a valve on the right exhaust. This is usually closed, until the engine gets above ~4000 rpm, then it opens. This valve is controlled by a servo motor. To see it you'll have to crawl under the right exhaust (don't do this right after driving, its hot!). You'll see a wire plugged into it. Put your car in park, put the car in sport mode and hit the gas hard. This will open the valve. If you shine a flashlight in there, you will see it open (the flap runs parallel to the exhaust pipe). Now, before it gets too hot, get back underneath the right exhaust and unplug the wire from the servo. Now the valve is permanently open. I then wrapped the exposed wire and the socket on the servo (kind of looks like a USB) in plastic and electrical tape to prevent it from getting wet, and taped it too the body so it didn't dangle below. A little ghetto, I know, but it sounds great and cost nothing. Has a nice growl and lots of pretty over-run burbles.

I'm assuming this will work with the X5 as well, as all the same components are there, and I plan on doing it when I receive my week 49 build.

If someone tries this, please post your results!

Will try this when i get my 2019 in Dec.
Appreciate 0