View Single Post
      07-20-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
josephvman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M Valencia Orange

I took the A8 through Ingolstadt and Stuttgart, pretty much following the GPS directions from the car. At some point northwest of Stuttgart there was an accident that had the autobahn shutdown, so we hit some secondary roads that ran along the Rhine river through Koblenz. Those were some of the most memorable roads and scenery I saw in Germany. I think if you hit any of the roads south of Nurburg along the Rhine, and set your GPS settings to avoid highways you probably can't go wrong. Keep in mind this is a pretty long ride. We left Munich at 7am, got to the track around 5pm, left the track around 8pm, and then headed back south with a plan to get into Zuffenhausen to spend the night. Of course things never go as planned, and we hit a massive traffic jam on the autobahn that literally had everyone walking away from their cars for hours. After nearly a five hour delay some cars started creeping between trucks and along the tiny shoulder, and we were able to get to an exit around a half-mile away and re-route. Eventually we got into Zuffenhausen at around 4am and couldn't find a hotel room for an hour. Of course it was the only hotel we stayed in the entire trip with no a/c, and probably the only really warm evening we ran into. The bed was like a plank! Paid 140euro for maybe a half-hour worth of sleep. Should have slept in the car!

If you're driving the autobahn routes give yourself plenty of time. When accidents happen they can literally tie things up for hours. When you see people getting out of their cars then you can plan on a lengthy delay.

The Porsche museum is really cool; don't miss it.
Appreciate 0