View Single Post
      10-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #31
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrajput View Post
I saw the 0W40 in the OM and that's what I'm running right now. Seems to be pretty fuel efficient, and to my understanding they also call it BMW longlife 01 on the label. So here are the next questions:

Would it be okay to mix different oil? Let's say for argument's sake your dealer put 0w40 and you top up with 5w30 which is listed on the OM, would that matter at all?

Would it be better to have a thinner oil, or a thicker oil?

Also, would the oil viscosity change based on seasons or use the same year round? Should we be switching our oil to thicker/thinner ones through the winter vs. Summer?
Dont mix oils

Different oils have different additive packages

Mixing them can negatively impact their ability to protect your engine.

In fact....your best bet is to pick a quality oil and stick with that brand for the life of the car

You will get longest life/least wear following this regimen assuming you are changing at an appropriate interval

If you want to demonstrate/track condition of engine then do engine oil analysis with blackstone

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

Oil analysis can also help you determine what the proper oil change interval is based on climate and your driving habits

Analysis can give you an idea of whats going on with break in as well as tell you when you are beginning to see components/gaskets/other failures begin before they are catastrophic expensive problems........dealers also appreciate the info because then they have indisputable proof of a problem and warranty work gets a lot easier to justify
Appreciate 0