View Single Post
      12-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #24
PhrogFixer01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
They didn’t dive into interior quality at all. That’s where every single Merc falls flat compared to BMW and Audi.

Sit in the GLS and you’ll see more hard plastic in the cabin, notably on the lower half of the doors. The plastic beneath the seats isn’t flush with the leather either. The Bimmer, even without Individual pkg, uses higher quality materials and is better built. Let’s not forget that every GLS on a dealer lot has Mb Tex whereas BMW rarely stocks cars with fake leather.

Merc interiors are overrated. The designs are tacky especially at night, and the quality isn’t there.
You are comparing apples to oranges. Just because most people don't opt for leather in MB doesn't make them inferior to BMW. If you build out a MB with designo options it would be neck and neck with BMW individual. MB sells what people want and for most they don't even know the difference between MB Tex and real leather and therefore don't care even when it's explained. MB does a great job marketing MB Tex and I can tell you after owning a 13 GL and now a 17 GLS with MB Tex it serves its purpose just as Sensatec does for BMW. I haul all sorts of things in my GLS from lumber to 260+ pounds of dog. Things I would never consider doing in any of my BMW's with
real leather. My Benz sees the service center once a year with no complaints and most of my BMWs go in with a laundry list of issues. To have a quality product doesn't mean it needs to have all soft touch materials and Merino leather and crystal shift knobs. With that said, I will always have BMW's for my dailies and would get another GLS for my other needs as in 6 years of having one it has been a quality performer for me. The X7 might be but it doesn't have the track record of the GL(S). True car enthusiast can find shortfalls in any build by any manufacturer. Different folks, different strokes.
Retired: 2020 M340i xDrive
Retired: 2017 X5M
Retired: 2016 550i xDrive
Retired: 2015 X6 50i
Appreciate 5
clee1982797.50
chrisk03153.00
LT43.00