12-30-2019, 08:00 PM   #26
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
They didn’t dive into interior quality at all. That’s where every single Merc falls flat compared to BMW and Audi.

Sit in the GLS and you’ll see more hard plastic in the cabin, notably on the lower half of the doors. The plastic beneath the seats isn’t flush with the leather either. The Bimmer, even without Individual pkg, uses higher quality materials and is better built. Let’s not forget that every GLS on a dealer lot has Mb Tex whereas BMW rarely stocks cars with fake leather.

Merc interiors are overrated. The designs are tacky especially at night, and the quality isn’t there.
Completely agree that the GLS interiors are a let down from what was promised. We stepped away from getting one for that very reason and lack of other option choices (AMG package only available on the 580's in the US, all 450's get the black plastic wheel arches).
This will work itself out over time as the GLS63 will have a proper set of exclusive Nappa interior options and then all will.

But I wouldn't generalize this. I find the interior quality of the S-Class much better than the 7 Series (non-individual). MB Nappa leather quality is better than BMW and I find a lot of BMW interior designs pretty pedestrian (on higher-end models). BMW has improved their interiors but they are not known in Germany for great build quality. That recognition goes to Porsche and some extend, Audi.

I do think the X7 is well executed on their interiors and feel more upscale than the MB SUV's. Other than that, both models have their Pros/Cons...
Appreciate 0