12-30-2019, 08:08 PM   #27
Wolfman64
Captain
Rep
Drives: M8C Coupe,E63s ED1,AMG GTC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogFixer01 View Post
You are comparing apples to oranges. Just because most people don't opt for leather in MB doesn't make them inferior to BMW. If you build out a MB with designo options it would be neck and neck with BMW individual. MB sells what people want and for most they don't even know the difference between MB Tex and real leather and therefore don't care even when it's explained. MB does a great job marketing MB Tex and I can tell you after owning a 13 GL and now a 17 GLS with MB Tex it serves its purpose just as Sensatec does for BMW. I haul all sorts of things in my GLS from lumber to 260+ pounds of dog. Things I would never consider doing in any of my BMW's with
real leather. My Benz sees the service center once a year with no complaints and most of my BMWs go in with a laundry list of issues. To have a quality product doesn't mean it needs to have all soft touch materials and Merino leather and crystal shift knobs. With that said, I will always have BMW's for my dailies and would get another GLS for my other needs as in 6 years of having one it has been a quality performer for me. The X7 might be but it doesn't have the track record of the GL(S). True car enthusiast can find shortfalls in any build by any manufacturer. Different folks, different strokes.
The new GLS doesn't have a lot of Designo/Exclusive Nappa choices yet so the car is a bit handicapped in the luxury department.

One thing to keep in mind is that leather is starting to get a lot of pushback in Germany as an animal-based non-sustainable material, so car manufacturers get dinged for not offering synthetic options even in their high-end cars.
Just the the Porsche Taycan, the upcoming EQ cars will have non-leather options in their S-Class level cars.
MB also has a new MB-Tex material that is like non-textured Nappa.

That said, I am a sucker for great leather interiors and love full leather options with zero plastic anywhere
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00