View Single Post
      01-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
LittleJoe
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 EQS 580 SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techworks View Post
I'm trying to choose between the 50i and M50i. I like the aesthetics of the M50i and a little extra HP would be fun on occasion. However, I spend ~2 hours per day on the highway, so I'd like to understand the difference in noise at cruising speeds. I know I would enjoy the power and noise on short bursts, but on my daily commute, I'm looking for the quietest and most comfortable option.

1. Is M Sport Exhaust on the M50i always loud? Does it have a baffle or moving parts that are automatically tuned to quiet when in Comfort?
2. I saw one review of the M50i that said exhaust sounds are piped in through the speakers. I know BMW has done this before on other vehicles, so I assume it's true here. Is this a good assumption? Does the amount of noise amplified by the speakers differ between Comfort, Sport, ans Sport+ modes?
3. If the M50i has exhaust sounds through the speakers, does the standard 50i also have them?
4. Aside from the M Sport Exhaust, are there other mechanical differences between the M50i and 50i? Is the suspension of the M50i as comfortable as the 50i when in Comfort mode?
Good questions. I own a 2019 X7 50i (luxury trim) and the exhaust note at cruising speed is not to loud in Comfort Mode. Of course if you punch it the note is louder as it would be with most V8's. I test drove a 2020 X7 M50i and felt the exhaust note was about the same as ours when cruising on the highway in Comfort Mode. Hopefully others with more knowledge of muffler baffles and/or exhaust sounds pumped through the audio system can reply about those questions. All-in-all the exhaust note of the 50i and M50i sounds about the same at cruising speeds in Comfort Mode (IMO).
Appreciate 0